Album Review: Pearse McGloughlin - Busy Whisper



The very best thing about music blogging is finding that one amazing song nestled in an album by a new artist. Pearse McGloughlin has just released his debut album called Busy Whisper and it's a great album. It will be in my "best of" lists for 2009.

Pearse from Sligo has a voice I compared before on the blog to Neil Halstead from Slowdive and that is very much in evidence throughout the album. The songs are well crafted compositions full of beautiful melodies. A wide range of instruments such as violin, cello, double bass and dobro are used sparingly and effecively. The inclusion of the guitar chord changing sound is also highly effective in creating a 'live' feel to the record. The lyrics are highly thoughtful and like the best of writers, Pearse has the ability to gently bring you along the crest of his thoughts.


For me the most defining moment of the album is that one great song I mentioned above. I'm not going to offer it as my sample because I think it's that good it's worth paying money for! 'Passion Song' is a song that when I go to the Purple Sessions next Friday I'll be hoping as a music fan he plays. 'Passion Song' takes four minutes to build up to the key melodies and has a catchy repetative line 'You Are All There Is Now' as it's outro. This song is an equal to anything Glen Hansard or Damier Rice has written. If I were to offer Pearse a suggestion it would be to do a single radio edit of the tune and get it out there.


Busy Whispers - 10 out of 12

http://www.myspace.com/walkperson

Buy the album online at Road Records


Catch Pearse live over the next few months.

31 Jul 2009 20:00 Purple sessions Drogheda
6 Aug 2009 20:00 Stables (Yukon) Mullingar
27 Aug 2009 20:00 Thirsty Thursday dublin
19 Sep 2009 20:00 Ori-Fest Cavan
24 Sep 2009 20:00 The Acoustic Corner, (ORIGINS) CAVAN
29 Oct 2009 20:00 Whelan’s upstairs Dublin

Comments