Friday's Forgotten Favourites - The Plague Monkeys



The Plague Monkeys were a four piece band from Dublin, Ireland. They were Carol Keogh (vocals), Donal O’ Mahony (guitars, keyboards and mandolin), Barry Roden (bass) and Thomas Haugh (drums, percussion and keyboard). The band formed in December 1995 until circa 2000 and made some of the most beautiful music imaginable. Think along the lines of a cooler Cranberries or an upbeat Cocteau Twins!

Discography

1995 People And Machinery EP

1996
The band make a video of 'The Plague Monkeys'

1997
Release of the 'Navigator E.P.' [April]

1998
Release of 'Surface Tension' [April]

Release of 'Mouth To Mouth' single [November]

1999
Release of 'The Sunburn Index' [October]

2000
The Plague Monkeys split up.


Legacy: Singer Carol Keogh is currently reviving her solo career after spells performing in Automata and with Roesy and Jerry Fish. The album 'Surface Tension' is one of my favourite Irish Albums ever and it's still an album I return to again and again.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Not sure you now this - Carol and Donal went on to form The Tycho Brahe / Tychonaut:

http://www.tychonaut.com/index3.htm
Peter N said…
I should have mentioned this fact too! Thans for the info.
Daveboy said…
I've been trying for ages to get my hands on "The Sunburn Index" but can't get it anywhere. I know it had a limited release but it seems to have disappeared of the planet.
Any hints where to find it?
Unknown said…
Been looking for it for ages myself. I'd say get in touch with the band for info!
Loveless said…
The Plague Monkeys are a band I return to again and again myself. Vastly under-rated! I can sort you both out with 'The Sunburn Index' on CD if you're still looking for it..

Brendan, irishmusiccentral.com
Unknown said…
Well my email is at the top of the blog page. Any help there would be great Brendan thanks.
daveboy said…
Brendan, I've been trying yo get in touch with you on irishmusiccentral and myspace about the sunburn index.
Hopefully I'll catch you at some stage. Dave
Daveboy said…
Brendan(loveless),
I've been trying to get in contact with you about The Sunburn Index on irishmusiccentral and your myspace page. If you see this can you give me a shout! Thanks, Dave
Loveless said…
Did you find the album Dave.. ?

-Brendan
Daveboy said…
Brendan - thanks for getting back to me about that. No, I've had no luck finding it but have been distracted by flooded house for the last few months. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave