Mark Geary - Whelans Gig Review

I've been to some amazing gigs this year. Most of them I've organised myself ;)....as well as going to Mark Dignam in Whelans, One Day International in Whelans, Little Palace in Navan but for me Mark Geary's gig in Whelans last night reignited my faith in Ireland. Yes Ireland! I have proof of how good it was .....

Here is America performed with Ann Scott and the band!







The band consisted of Graham Hopkins on Drums and Karl Odlum on Bass. There was this wonderful feeling from the band that playing live was simply great fun. The set consisted of the best of Mark Geary as well as Mark performing a cover of The Pixies Gigantic which in the end turned out to be a duet with an enthusiastic Pixies fan in the crowd! Ray Lamontagne's 'Jolene' also made an appearance during a song outro! Here is Mark introducing and performing 'Angel'. It includes some great lines from Mark!









The single best thing about the gig was that every song turned into a sing-song. Whelans was packed out which is some achievement considering the national context! I often write about concerts and Irish music as music for the soul! This was so true last night! Everyone needs a night with Mark Geary at least once a year!

Here is the wonderful concert closer 'It Beats Me'.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I was introduced to Mark Geary's music at the start of this year by a good friend of mine who has followed him for a few years now. I'll be seeing him for the fourth time this year later this month in Leeds. Being from the UK I have never yet been able to see Mark play a gig like this...one day I hope to make it to Whelans to see him play there, but for now thanks for posting these videos so I could get a little glimpse of what the night was like!! It looks and sounds amazing.....Thank you!